Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The following are responses to a Slam Poetry prompt about issues that the women in G-Unit feel passionate about.


My Un-Edited Un-Rhyming Hood Poem

Who are you to be the one to say
My actions aren’t righteous
And yours are the way

I’m over the she said, she said
I want a little more me said
Maybe if we’re lucky we can get a little more he said

When do I get seniority?
When do I call the shots?
I wanna be Big Mama, let me carry the gaup

Forget the gaup
That’s what started this mess
Let me be your voice of reason
I can relieve your stress

-R.S



January 2, 2013

…I really haven’t had time to collect my thoughts at this point…
Although you would think that being in here…being institutionalized
You would have plenty of time to collect your thoughts
And decifer the good and the bad and separate the two
But actually it couldn’t be further from the truth.
Being locked up in jail makes you uptight, angry, defensive, on guard,
Emotionally elevated, and pushed as far as you can go!
It is a constant battle from yourself and those around you.
It is a deferment of your true emotions…
I am a caring, loving, true, real person
And I find that in here they don’t deserve to see the real me…
Because it’s not real in this hell…
So I’m just over it. I can focus on when I return to reality
In the real world…
This is not reality,
It is a nightmare

-M.N.



Untitled

There are so many people in jails because of police.
There are frustrated homeless who take over buildings
Cuz they themselves have no peace.
Church-goers claiming Jesus can save my soul
Could someone save my arm please?
They won’t sell clean needles
Now look at this hole.
There is beauty everywhere in everyone.
Even homeless drug-addicts, for real.
So why am I missing my husband?
Now my freedom is all I ever plan to steal.

-A.R.



Untitled

Homeless people on the street
The government is not doing anything
Drug addicts everywhere
The cops harassing everyone

Homeless people being chased away
No where we can stay
Getting ticketed for everything
Not even sleeping we can

Ticket for camping
Ticket for smoking
Even ticket for being in the park after dark
Ticket on ticket on ticket for everything

Seeing many of my friends going in and out of jail
Wish it was me, but it’s not

Homelessness is not loneliness

-T.A.



Untitled

Stupid cliques doing hunger strike tricks
I’ll be on the street stackin’ chips
Magical fingertips, miss kissing his lips
Scared of L.W.O.P. and what he might get
“One day at a time”, the thought makes me sick
Drunks on the street have more freedom than me
Violent acts are not the answer
Trust that you, me
Believe poverty happening all over the world
Our government holds AK47’s to the heads of eight-year-old girls
Third world countries are sick and make me nauseaus…wait…hurl…

Incarceration

It’s gonna be awhile until I am free
I am sad and definitely miss my homies
I want to cry so daily I do
I know I didn’t say in enough but I miss all of you
Thank you for the support: Letters keep me sane
I’m having trouble dealing
Going through a lot of pain
Please don’t forget about me, we got a long road ahead
I can’t believe this nightmare is a reality instead
Scared of what I might lose
Some friends and years of my life
Life’s too short to spend on lockdown
Dealing with all of this strife
I am one who believes in Fate and live with no regrets
But I’m sorry to my family
And to all my unpaid debts
Let’s just hope the future will bring sunshine instead of rain
Let’s just hope over the next few years I do not go insane
Like I asked before
I will ask once again
Please don’t forget about me
Even if I go to the Pen
Write me, write me, write me
Please and don’t forget
Never give up hope for me
And never have regrets

-S.


No comments:

Post a Comment