Saturday, October 12, 2013

The following poem was not in response to a prompt.

Goodbye - Hello?

Goodbye, hello, go away, come back, leave -- wait!
I need you here, now, with me...
I need you gone, far, away from me.
Love -- hate -- misunderstood passion
Love me!  Hate me!  Anything at all
As long as all is me.
I'm too weak to leave on my own
But too strong to release my hold.
Destruction, pain and memories
of better days, smoother times...
Leave! Stay--
Go! Come back
Leave me alone!
How could you actually go?
It wasn't real for you --
      It must have been fake --
           You don't love me!
Words of hate
Would it be easier to accept if they weren't true?
This picture I unfairly paint of you.
Not giving credit where credit is due.
Because if I make you them,
The problem isn't all me, it must be you.
What do I do if the reason you left our dreams
Isn't only you, but mainly because of me?
I ignored the signs, made mistakes all the time.
I said 1,000 "I'm sorry's," and only few apologies
I watched us wither and die.
Communicate?  I tried.
I'm weak, broken, tired
A stranger to my own eyes,
A monster in yours.
Leave, goodbye, stay away
Come back!  I love you, we'll get better!
Crunch -- your knee hitting my face
Squeeze -- my hands at your throat
Wet -- tears in our eyes
Sting -- the names we scream
Whoa -- we wish the other to die
Purple -- always around my eye
Low -- beneath the scum on the floor
Lower, beneath roots of all trees
And, even lower, is where I fall.
Tiny is how I feel
Unworthy is how we feel
Not good enough
But wait! Don't go, although you should.
Plug your ears maybe you won't come back
Too much damage for this to end nice
No pretty goodbye
If you leave I think I might die
But if you stay I'm sure I will
Go away!  But not too far --
Don't look at me!  But don't look away --
I love you, but hate what you do!
Leave, go away!  Goodbye -- come back!  Hi... Hello?  Are you there?!

by E.


No comments:

Post a Comment