Monday, December 10, 2012

Kitchens

The following are responses to a workshop in which we described the kitchen of our childhoods. After that, we wrote about someone walking into that kitchen.

-I grew up in a house with six siblings as well as relatives, so the kitchen was a very important space... my mother's kitchen has a huge fridge with see-through glass so you can see in without opening it. The wallpaper had all sorts of veggis and fruit on it. The floor was hard pine wood. It was shiny, the kitchen was always clean. It smelled like cinnamon at all times because my mother cooks lots of sweets with cinnamon... the food that came out of that kitchen was miraculously good.

The person (who walks into the kitchen) is named A_____, my DA. If Alex were to come into my childood kitchen he would change a lot of his opinions of me. He would see lots of violence, my mother being thrown through the main wall that leads to the living room. He would see me at the age of 4-12 hiding and praying not to be beaten by my mother's husband. I would make sure to see him out once we are done eating and ask him what he has to say now! Considering he has degraded me for the past 3 years without thinking about my past or any other aspect of my life besides the crime.
-C.S.


-The kitchen of my childhood that I remember was big: it was always warm, smelled good of mom's cooking, may her soul rest in peace. Sometimes it did get a little loud because older sisters and brothers were partying in the living room trying to talk over one another.

Someone walks into the kitchen of my childhood, if they weren't family or a close family friend they probably got the business from Mom or someone else. If that wasn't the case, it was probably the cops looking for one of my brothers or brother in laws.
-D.



-A long counter and many cupboards and shelves, Smooth surfaces with the smell of lemon cleaner. Very open area with an island close by. A pantry to the side with saloon style doors, a table to the other side that no one ever uses.

A child walks into the kitchen, it is 3 am and he is being sneaky; he creeps in and climbs up onto the massive counter-top. He reaches into the cupboard and silently pulls out and starts eating the mini chocolate donuts. He puts the box back and and slyly slips away. When confronted about eating the donuts last night by his mother, he is shocked. How did you know? He asked. She says that she knows everything he does, and he believes her. Little did he know he had left donut crumbs on the counter.
-J.

1 comment:

  1. These writings were in response to a prompt which asked the writer to describe the kitchen of their childhoods. After this was done, they were asked to write about what happens when someone (anyone) walks into the kitchen. I got the idea for this prompt from my creative writing teacher at UCSC.

    ReplyDelete