Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Following are autobiographical poems:

H-Unit

My Self
Who am I?

Am I the girl who had a baby
at 16 who now attends UCSC
Or am I weak

My Self
Who am I?

Am I the woman who volunteered five years
at the wildlife center
Bonding with a hawk named Weshawee
Which I named my youngest daughter after?
OR to myself... I destruct

My Self
Who am I?

Am I the woman
who helps create a space for marginalized voices
to be heard on the radio dial 94.1

or are the memories too distant
too long?

-S.


Daddy's little girl,
Crazy, suicidal and out of control.
Became a mother at fourteen;
La Vida Loca was the life for me.
Meth crept up and took my soul;
Always ready to smoke a bowl.
Abused and fucked up,
Drugs and alcohol and avoidance were my only tools.
Played the part: happy and cool,
I had a job and sent to school.
Never thought I played the fool,
Met death face to face.
That's what happens when you live
life in a fast pace.
My soul the devil can taste,
Living my life, a total waste.
Jail, institutions and death
is the life promised to me.
Is this really what God planned for me?

Daddy's little girl,
It's never too late.
So I create my own fate.
I'm taking control.
I'm not letting go.
I can't pretend I do not hurt.
But hurtful words I can no longer blurt.
Careless attitude... I've GOT to change.
Why does change feel so strange?
It's time to get my kids,
Time to enjoy life once again,
Hopeful my story can help a friend.
I'm creating a better end.
Blessings God is starting to send,
unnoticed there, no longer a blur.
I'm standing on my feet.
Opening my eyes so I can see.
There is a better life for me.
Real happiness and a piece of mind,
I'm completely ready to find.
I will no longer live my life blind.
A new path I will now walk,
I no longer will talk the talk.
I'm applying new principles to my life;
I want to be a Mommy and a wife.
God, continue to walk and guide me through this path.
Keep me from temptation,
It's time for redemption.

-S.A. 



H-Unit

What the person thinks about

From childhood I've learned about being left alone
In myself with my hand over my face
A one man race
These eyes you can forget
this voice you will imagine
this face in your eyes
connect with mine
We all have a connection
May the souls lead you in the wrong direction
Let this story be told
let these pages in a class book
unfold a boring life
never get old.
These souls follow us from the places that are old
Look what happens when you never listen or do what you're told
My boring life never gets old
This story of Alone
This time I didn't pass. I will ask
This time they ________
Alone in this cell is one mind
A life a hundred years long
Alone in this life. Keep your head
You love yourself only
Could find someone along the path
Only one chance

-There is a soul in a girl's eyes
Sweet little behind your back lies

-J.G.



“This Sucks”
I really don't want to write anything about my childhood.
My life has been like a roller coaster

-M.S.




Childhood to present:
My childhood? My childhood was very unique. I had a wonderful childhood with much pain as well. The good times growing up had to do with having many friends around me with the same family, or similar family problems as me. My parents were very caring as well as non-existent. Drugs and alcohol played a part in how my life made me grow up quick. My parents were very good when they were sober, but when intoxicated or high on drugs, I was left to fend for myself which was sad, but I was blessed to have good friends around me all the time. My friends were the main ones who helped me grow up fast, but my parents were able to teach me right from wrong. I can't complain too much about my childhood because I had my space, freedom and friends. I have been very lucky up to this point in time because I have dodged many bullets. But now that I'm in jail, I feel like my luck has finally run out. I feel very blessed to be in this class right now because for this one hour I don't feel like I'm in jail with a bunch of fucking animals, so I can't complain about the present timing right now. I'm really happy my future won't be ruined, and hoping I can still accomplish all of my childhood goals. I'm gonna stay strong, never give up, and continue to keep ________ . I always gonna be beaten up and bruised at some point in my life, but I know I can make it because I am a very strong person.

-C.R.

No comments:

Post a Comment