Sunday, April 14, 2013

The following are the result of a prompt in which we attempted to dispel myths surrounding the labels that are given to us.

H/D Unit

As an incarcerated person I am undermined as a criminal
Just a number. But in truth, I'm a caring person who cares a lot for other others' well being when possible. Also I'm a father that is kept away from my child and has done everything to be there and to prevent from ever being taken away again.
As a man I've realized that a man is not one who is violent or the strongest and even prejudiced, thathe is the key to the family. I'm a man as a nurturing and understanding person that sees the whole picture. I'm not the key, but the chain that tries to hold things together.
As a writer I express feeling through paper and pencil, which is hard for most but easy for few that let the pencil flow through and let it do its work like it had a mind of its own. Details that could not be explained by words easily come to be in paper with a simple pencil.
As a 20 year old, I'm close to being of drinking age :) yeah
As someone from the ethnic Mexican background, usually kept down, meant to work minimum wage jobs, be in a gang... I've done the impossible and turned my back and set forth to prove this wrong.
As someone with Catholic beliefs, I know God is my savior and have hope to be a better person.
-A.R.

As an incarcerated person there are 3 ongoing battles... 1) The battle against officers 2) The conflicts and controversy against other inmates 3) The worst... the battle against our own imaginations, where out minds can manipulate our hearts.
As a man: The essence of a man is to lead by example, move with conviction, honor and integrity. And to provide for his family. And loyalty to his fellow comrades.
As a 29 year old, I'm coming to understand the importance of using caution and discretion.
As someone from the ethnic background Aryan: The word “Aryan” is Sanskrit for honorable/noble... it means Indo-European. I'm Irish/English.
As someone with Nordic beliefs: Any religion that goes against the laws of nature are FALSE.
As humans, it's in our nature to evolve and change.
As dropouts: The majority of us still hold fast to our values and morals.
-D.F.


As an incarcerated person I want people to know that I'm not a violent or bad person. I'm a father to three kids who I truly care about and love with all my heart.
As a man, I have morals and values
As a writer, I could write about anything, but I prefer not to at this moment.
As a 29 year old: BE
-M.S.

As an incarcerated person: It doesn't mean I'm a bad person. I think everyone makes mistakes in their lives.
R.B.

As an incarcerated person: I am a man of my word. I'm a hard worker and a father of an 8 year old daughter. I'm not a bad person, I just have some bad habits.
As a writer: I'm able to escape from the world and express myself and my true feelings.
S.L.


G/H- Unit

An an incarcerated person, I became a woman in recovery. As everyone around me that legally fuck me, doubts everything I say and my motives due to my past and all the labels people place on drug addicts in jail. I guess I'm the only person who truly believes and knows where I am in my life.
-A.

As a writer, pen & paper's all I got, to get out of my head and release my thoughts. Growin up fast I smoked a lot of pot. All from experiences I've been taught. Say everything is for a reason, been thru hell in every season, believe in Fate, miracles and no regrets, learn from the past and don't forget, all my troubles , friends & hardships shit engraved in my memory will never tarnish. Missin my Miah, the cigarettes and more. Can't wait, in a few years, I'll be out these doors, continuin' my life, never lookin' back, back to my skate & a foreseen relapse.
-S.G.

As an incarcerated person I am a non-entity. I am powerless over myself, and not in control of my life. I am imprisoned in spirit and thought. I am careful not to dream. My dreams are lost to me now. Where they have gone to, I cannot say. I know that new ones are born of the seed of hope. I carefully hide the seeds of new dreams in the far corners of my mind, lest they spill out onto the floor, and are lost under a judge's boot. If I am quiet enough, I may have a spark of life left to carry out of here when I go.
-K.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment